Google recently provided guidance on how businesses can build trust with customers through a document published on the Google Merchant Center. To help business owners enhance their credibility on Google’s platform, this article summarizes Google’s suggestions into an actionable checklist. By following these recommendations, businesses can establish positive customer relationships and maintain strong bonds with their audience.
Understanding What Customers Value
Before diving into the checklist, it’s important to understand what customers value when trusting a business:
- Business Identity: Consistency is key when it comes to your brand’s image. Use the same business name, logo, colors, and other branding elements across all platforms to create a clear and unified identity.
- About Us Page: Share your business’ backstory and origins on an “about us” page on your website to provide transparency and build trust.
- Social Media Presence: Promote your social media profiles through links on your website to establish an online presence and engage with customers on multiple platforms.
Transparency Builds Trust
Being upfront and transparent with customers can go a long way in earning their trust:
- Detailed Policies: Clearly explain your policies regarding shipping, returns, and customer privacy to provide transparency and manage expectations.
- Business Operations: Share information about your business model, such as your supply chain, manufacturing process, or fulfillment systems, to give customers insight into how your company operates.
Managing Your Online Reputation
Your online reputation plays a crucial role in customer trust:
- Customer Reviews: Highlight positive reviews and endorsements from current customers to showcase your reputation.
- Badges and Seals: Display badges or certifications from reputable third parties to further establish trust.
- Customer Interaction: Provide details on how customers can contact customer support if needed, demonstrating your commitment to their satisfaction.
- Blogs and Articles: Share educational blog posts and articles that help educate customers, positioning your business as a reliable source of information.
Showcasing Professional Design
Your website’s design can significantly impact customer trust:
- SSL Certificate: Obtain an SSL certificate to encrypt customer data, ensuring their information is secure and building trust.
- Website Navigation: Ensure your website navigation is user-friendly, straightforward, and free of broken links or unnecessary redirects.
- Avoid Placeholders: Populate your website’s text and image areas with actual content instead of placeholders to create a professional, polished look.
Helping Google Represent Your Business
The more Google knows about your business, the better it can represent you to potential customers:
- Business Information: Provide complete details about your business, including name, contact information, and product categories, in the Merchant Center.
- Third-Party Platforms: Connect your Merchant Center account to other platforms where you sell, like Shopify or Amazon, to improve visibility and reach.
- Google Business Profile: Create a Google Business Profile for your company and verify ownership to enhance your online presence.
- SEO Guidelines: Follow SEO best practices to make your website easily discoverable and navigable for both users and search engines.
- Seller Rating Eligibility: Opt into Google Customer Reviews or other third-party review services to improve your eligibility for seller ratings, which can further establish trust.
Building trust takes time and effort, but it is crucial for businesses to invest in fostering strong relationships with their customers. By engaging constructively with their audience in the Google Merchant Center and following these guidelines, business owners can establish a positive reputation and create lasting trust among their target audience.
Promote SEO Augusta’s SEO Services. Learn more here.